RTSMTOWYH Chapter 4 p1 Summary, Review & Key Moments

RTSMTOWYH Chapter 4 p1 Summary and Review

In Chapter 4 of RTSMTOWYH, An Yi is escorted to the capital by Yan Ping, where she finally comes face-to-face with Emperor Feng Zhao Wen. This chapter is filled with tension, subtle emotional shifts, and hints of a deeper past connection between the characters.

Below is a full summary, key highlights, and my personal analysis to help you better understand this chapter.

This Chapter 4 p1 summary also explores key character dynamics and important moments that may affect future chapters.

 After the prison breakout, probably because the most important person had already been taken, leaving only me, an insignificant outlaw, Yan Ping didn’t use the prisoner’s cart anymore. He bought a carriage, placed me inside, and then also sat himself inside, accompanying me for the entire journey into the capital. 

 Although he look unhappy for the entire journey, sometimes he would stare at me with me and make my hair stand on end. I couldn’t help but feel that this person’s previously gentle temper was becoming more and more gloomy. But seeing that he never unsheathed the sword from his waist, I secretly speculated. If he were to draw that sword and face me, what were my odds of winning? Afterward, I discovered that the circumstances were incredibly in my favor. Thus, I reassuringly continued to eat and drink. 

 There’s just one thing, no matter how many times I asked him to atleast let me take a bath once so that even if I had to die, I could be a clean ghost, I am always ruthlessly rejected. 

 "The road to the underworld is pitch black. What's the difference between being dirty or clean?". 

 He smiled but it really doesn't look like a smile. 

 I felt that this tone of his didn’t carry any good intentions. Knowing that he has always loved cleanliness , but he was forced to stay in this carriage that was stinking all day long. I felt extremely sorry for him. 

 “It’s been hard on General Yan Ping to be suffocated by this humble one. This humble one is truly to blame!” 

 He reached out and patted me on the shoulder. 

 “What kind of relationship exists between you and me? In those days, we pretended to be husband and wife and were even once the subject of homosexual rumors. When did I ever turn my back on you?” 

 I always stay away from people with poor memory. These people, when there is nothing better, will make sweet promises and speak honeyed words. When there is something better, they play the reneging game. The most hateful thing is that while others still firmly remember their oath, these people have already one-sidedly cast aside what they once said. 

 The person in front of my eyes is a typical example. 

 I shook my head. Using the greasy hand I had just used to gnaw on drumsticks with, I stroked the hand on my shoulder and laughed. 

 “General Yan spoke extremely well!” 

 Unexpectedly, the cool flesh beneath my hand didn’t pull away, even by a little bit. I secretly guessed.

 Don’t tell me, this person is also getting close to me for the army seal? 

 It’s just that thing, when have I ever even seen it? Half a month quickly passed by, and the capital appeared before our eyes. 

 After Great Qi established the country, the capital was not moved. The former great Chen imperial palace simply changed its owner. 

 I had originally thought that an old official from the previous dynasty like me would, at most, by his majesty’s imperial decree, be dragged onto the execution grounds and settled with a chop of the blade. Who could have guessed that the palace gate’s eunuch would expressionlessly announce an imperial decree and state that his majesty the Emperor wanted to personally see me instead? 

 This was also right. I, with his majesty the great Qi emperor, had also once exchanged blows on the battlefield. Perhaps he was afraid that Yan Ping had randomly and indiscriminately arrested someone to claim credit, hoping to meet the requirements for promotion. Indeed, inspecting a subordinate’s achievements was a necessary intimidation method. 

 Besides, in theory, three years ago, I had already been buried in that fire at the Chen imperial palace’s Jin Xiu pavilion. 

 Actually, this great Qi emperor, Feng Zhao Wen, is indeed a bit weird. Arriving at the imperial study’s door, the same eunuch who had announced the imperial decree expressionlessly blocked Yan Ping. 

 “His Majesty has orally commanded, and General Yan Ping is exhausted by the journey. Please return to your residence and rest. He will summon you another day. His majesty wants to call in little general An alone.” 

 I foolishly stood in front of the palace hall’s gate. Deep in my heart, I loathed Yan Ping for not letting me bathe. 

 No matter the dynasty, an audience with his majesty the Emperor naturally meant bathing and a change of clothes. Granted, I am a prisoner, but stinking like this from head to toe, if His Majesty the Emperor suffocates, I’m afraid my blood will splash three feet on the spot. Originally, I wanted to use Yan Ping as a shield, throwing all the blame on him. 

 Thinking and thinking, I could only brace myself and go in. 

 "General Guangwu of the Great Chen comes to see His Majesty the Emperor of the Great Qi!" 

 These palace etiquettes haven’t been practiced for a long time and have truly become rusty. Sure enough, bowing and bending at the knees require a long period of training. My kneecaps have been stiff for three years, and they are a little stiff now. 

 Looking up, the man in front of him had deep features, so gorgeous and handsome that one dared not look directly at him. His phoenix eyes glanced at me coldly. 

 “An Yi, you have such big nerves!” 

 “Many thanks for your majesty’s praise! Your majesty is wise!” 

 Circumstances bring forth the hero. Circumstances also bring forth the coward. Occasionally, being a coward isn’t shameful. This is what my father has taught me. 

 The corner of his mouth trembled. Suddenly, an imperial case file was slapped down with gritted teeth. 

 “You’re actually still alive?!” 

 I gave a cry of “Aiyo!” and immediately scooted my butt back, falling onto a thick imperial rug. 

 “I have let Your Majesty down! An Yi is indeed still alive!” 

 Resolving not to get up anymore, and with a fawning smile. 

 “Your Majesty is wise!” 

 At the same time, I hid my toe-exposing straw sandals under my patched-up clothes. 

 Actually, the situation can’t be blamed on me. If you want to blame me, blame my father. He hired someone to teach me how to read, study, use spears and sticks, read people's expressions, and flatter people, but he never taught me loyalty, faith, propriety, righteousness, or needlework. He taught me to take care of a little Huang who does no work, farming, cooking , sewing, and washing clothes. Now that we are alive and well and not freezing to death or starving to death, this can already be considered the gods’ special favor! 

 But even though I have been flattering him for a long time, it seems that the one sitting high on the throne still doesn't appreciate it. After a few years without seeing him, this person has become scarier. He stretched his face taut, as though I were his biggest creditor. His gaze was like a knife, ready to fly over me and stab me at any moment. I shivered. 

 They say the ignorant are fearless, and the young are the bravest. The older you get, the more fearful you become, fearing hardships, strain, and pain. Could it be that I have grown old? On the journey here, although I had embraced the fact that I would have to die, seeing the face of Feng Zhao Wen, I sincerely wished I had died on the road! Living a life worse than death was much more miserable than dying to one’s content. 

 I sat dead on the floor, refusing to rise. His face seemed to be getting worse. Wrinkling his brows, he obviously used a great deal of effort to restrain his anger. 

 “An Yi, can you get up and talk?” 

 I shook my head and honestly replied. 

 “Your Majesty’s awe has scared this servant. I can’t get up.” 

 Although my dad has said before that you can’t go wrong with flattery, even for him, his favorable moment never arrived, and his big goals were never accomplished before he died. My luck, compared to my father’s, is even worse. With the country ruined and the house destroyed, I escaped with the child emperor and hid outside for three years, eating husks and choking on vegetables, and yet I was still captured and brought back, penniless, destitute, and dejected. 

 Finally, he could no longer restrain himself. All the blue veins on his face were violently appearing. 

 “An Yi, do you seriously think I don’t have ways to deal with you?” 

 I unconcernedly spread my hand. 

📖 Chapter 4 p1 Summary (Detailed)

An Yi is brought to the capital by Yan Ping, whose actions suggest a complicated attitude toward her. Despite his cold behavior, hints of a deeper connection are revealed during their journey.

At the palace, An Yi meets Emperor Feng Zhao Wen, whose reaction is intense and personal rather than purely political, suggesting a deeper past connection.

💭 Review & Analysis

This chapter stands out for its mix of tension and subtle humor. An Yi’s calm and bold personality makes her especially engaging, even in dangerous situations.

Yan Ping’s behavior remains one of the biggest mysteries, as his actions and attitude do not fully align.

The emperor’s reaction is the highlight—his intensity suggests that An Yi is far more significant than she appears.

🔍 Character Insights

  • An Yi – Bold, observant, and mentally resilient
  • Yan Ping – Cold exterior with possible hidden motives
  • Feng Zhao Wen – Intense, controlled, and mysterious

📌 Key Highlights

  • The journey to the capital
  • Hints of An Yi and Yan Ping’s past
  • The emperor’s powerful entrance
  • The tension-filled first meeting

🤔 What Might Happen Next?

The emperor’s strong reaction suggests that An Yi’s past will play a major role moving forward. Yan Ping’s position may also become more complicated as the story develops.